Saturday, March 10, 2007

My All-Time Favorite Tiger: Alan Trammell

I have put together my list of the Tigers All-Time team. Of course, since I was born in 1973, I was not able to see some of these cats play (i.e. Ty Cobb). But based on stats, and Hall-Of-Fame status, how could I leave someone like Cobb off. Included on my list is my all-time favorite Tiger, Alan Trammell.

Trammell was my idol growing up as a kid. On the diamond, I always found myself playing shortstop, dreaming of playing in the majors. Who could forget the double plays with Sweet Lou Whitaker. The World Series MVP in 1984...Six-time All-Star...Four-time Gold Glove winner...One of 3 Tigers (Al Kaline & Ty Cobb) to play 20 seasons in a Tigers uniform.

One of my favorite Trammell memories was in 1987, when he led the Tigers to an American League East title. Lance Parrish left via free agency, and manger Sparky Anderson needed a clean-up hitter. Enter Alan Trammell. He responded with a career year, hitting .343, with 28 home runs and 105 RBI. He finished second to George Bell of Toronto for the AL MVP award. I am still upset he did not win!

Trammell was a clutch player, in the field and at the bat. In his prime, he was the best to play the shortstop position. Yes, I know there was iron-man Cal Ripken around, but what can I say, I am biased.

Since I collected baseball cards as a kid, I thought I would include this picture of Trammell's 1978 Topps rookie card:



Thanks for the memories Tram!

No comments: