Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sheffield's Bat Is Just What The Tigers Needed



Gary Sheffield knew the New York Yankees were going to trade him. The nine-time All-Star just didn't think he was going to end up in Detroit.

Sheffield, who was acquired by the Tigers in November for three pitching prospects, wasn't expecting the move to Detroit because he didn't envision himself as a designated hitter but the well-traveled veteran is warming to the idea as he prepares for his first season in the AL Central.

"I didn't consider myself a DH, so I really didn't look at that situation," Sheffield said Wednesday morning before his first workout with the Tigers. "I said, `I'm an outfielder.' I looked at the Cubs, Houston and teams like that. I looked at Boston, but I knew they weren't going to trade me there, and the Mets. I thought all of those were fits, then Detroit called and told me I was DHing.

"I said, `I'll do it. That just means less work.' I've done it a couple times, but it's not something I'm familiar with."

Sheffield left the Yankees with what he wanted: a $28 million contract extension through 2009 and a promise that he wouldn't play first base.

He also left with fond memories.

"I'm going to miss a lot of things," the 38-year-old Sheffield said. "I'm going to miss the guys. We had great relationships, despite what most people say. Everybody knows it's a different kind of organization, but I made it work.

"Don't look at this like I went away bitter. It's a business at the end of the day."

Sheffield said he feels bad for Bernie Williams because the Yankees only have offered him a minor league contract.

"I think he deserves a little better," he said.

Sheffield said he's healthy after missing much of last year with a left wrist injury.

"I'm ready to go," he said, holding a bat in front of his locker.
Source: AP

No comments: